A billion chronically hungry people in the world via The Economist
- As you can see from the right-hand scale, during the 1990’s and 2000’s the “bottom billion” poorest people have been starving or close to it.
- Even though the right-hand scale is more important, the lines get graphical emphasis.
- Therefore the two pictures, though nearly equivalent in absolute terms, tell very different stories:
- Both stories were told by the
Food and Agriculture Organisation, of the United Nations.
- Of course statistical bodies revise estimates all the time.
- But still this juxtaposition warns us to question the facticity of numbers appearing in charts.
- All data come from somewhere. Just because the numbers appear on a chart doesn’t make them correct.